The Beavers found themselves down early dropping all three doubles matches to the Eagles. The beavers duet of Melissa Fogelson (Jr., Bemidji, Minn.) and Kali Welu (Fr., Pequot Lakes, Minn.) gave BSU its best shot of earning a doubles point when they took the team of Kayla Ross and Tiffany Eberly to 8-5.
Kristen Lexcen (So., Coon Rapids, Minn.) was BSU's bright spot in singles play earning the Beavers lone team point with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over the Eagles' Naomi Voth. The win was the second of the season for Lexcen and just the sixth for BSU this season.
Lexcen's match was the only of the Beavers' six singles matches that was played in a normal two-set format. All others played 10-game sets in an effort to save time.
The loss drops BSU to 0-5 overall while the team is 0-3 versus NSIC competition while Northwestern evens its record to 1-1.
The Beavers will be back in action at 8 a.m. tomorrow when they travel to Hamline University for its second non-conference match in as many days.
Bemidji State University vs Northwestern College
(Minn.) (Feb 25, 2006)
Northwestern College (Minn.) 8, Bemidji State University 1
Feb 25, 2006 at Moore Lake, Minn.
1. Ross, Kayla (NWC) def. Fogelson, Melissa (BSU) 10-4
2. Porter, Jenn (NWC) def. Welu, Kali (BSU) 10-6
3. Lexcen, Kristen (BSU) def. Voth, Naomi (NWC) 6-4, 6-1
4. Eberly, Tiffany (NWC) def. Kapsner, Julie (BSU) 10-6
5. Hartog, Lisa den (NWC) def. Jespersen, Jenna (BSU) 7-5
6. Ruen, Erica (NWC) def. Erickson, Amy (BSU) 10-0
1. Eberly, Tiffany/Ross, Kayla (NWC) def. Fogelson, Melissa/Welu, Kali (BSU) 8-5
2. Porter, Jenn/Voth, Naomi (NWC) def. Lexcen, Kristen/Jespersen, Jenna (BSU) 8-1
3. Hartog, Lisa den/Johnson, Claire (NWC) def. Kapsner, Julie/Erickson, Amy (BSU) 8-4
Northwestern College (Minn.) 1-1; 0-1 UMAC
Bemidji State University 0-5; 0-3 NSIC