Beavers blanked University of Minnesota, Crookston in their afternoon
match, and pulled a 9-0 victory over Northern State University later
that evening to extend their winning streak to thre and improve to 3-3
overall and 3-2 in NSIC play.
Highlighted by Amy Erickson's (Sr., Roseau, Minn.) 6-0, 6-0 victory over UMC's Kaitlyn Linde at No. 5 singles, the Beavers piled up five straight-set victories in singles play before winning the No. 6 singles match by default.
In doubles play, the team of Farrah Steinke (So., Crosby, Minn.) and Cheyanne Maki (Watford, City, N.D.) posted an 8-0 victory over the Golden Eagle tandem of Megan Hulst and Linde. The Beavers also got a victory at No. 1 doubles as Kali Welu (Sr., Pequot Lakes, Minn.) and Kara Johnson (So., Anoka, Minn.) defeated Christa Nitsch and Cassandra Jarvis 8-1, before Minnesota, Crookston defaulted at the No. 3 spot and BSU secured the 9-0 clean sweep.
In the nightcap, BSU again came out of doubles play with a 3-0 lead. The No. 1 squad of Welu and Kelli Christiansen (Fr., Bemidji, Minn.) took their match over Michelle Bauer and Brianna Thomas 8-3. Steinke and Johnson registered a No. 2 doubles win over Megan Bosch and Marisa Steadman 8-5 and Maki and Brittney Greenwaldt (Fr., Morris, Minn.) earned an 8-4 win over Brianna Meyer and Jane Langenwalter at the third doubles spot.
In singles play, Bemidji State continued its dominance winning at all six positions, with five coming in straight sets. Kelli Christiansen was the only BSU player that needed a tie-breaker to decide her match. She defeated Steadman 6-2 in the first set but fell 2-6 in the second. The freshman battled back to earn the No. 4 singles point winning the tie-breaker 10-4.
The Beavers (3-3; 3-2 NSIC) continue Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play this weekend with pair of duels. BSU host Minnesota State University, Moorhead Friday at 1 p.m. in its home opener at the Gillett Recreation Fitness Center and will hit the road for a Saturday evening affair with Augustana College in Grand Forks, N.D.
Bemidji State University 9, Minnesota, Crookston 0
Feb 28, 2009 at Grand Forks, N.D.
1. Nicole Christiansen (BSU) def. Megan Hulst (UMC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Farrah Steinke (BSU) def. Christa Nitsch (UMC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Kelli Christiansen (BSU) def. Cassandra Jarvis (UMC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Julie Kapsner (BSU) def. Gretchen Anderson (UMC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Amy Erickson (BSU) def. Kaitlyn Linde (UMC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Erin Mapes (BSU) def. Team (UMC), by default
1. Kali Welu/Kara Johnson (BSU) def. Christa Nitsch/Cassandra Jarvis (UMC) 8-1
2. Farrah Steinke/Cheyanne Maki (BSU) def. Megan Hulst/Kaitlyn Linde (UMC) 8-0
3. Brittney Greenwaldt/Amy Erickson (BSU) def. Team/Team (UMC), by default
Bemidji State University 2-3; 2-2 NSIC
Minnesota, Crookston 0-4; 0-4 NSIC
Bemidji State University 9, Mary (N.D.) 0
Feb. 28, 2009 at Grand Forks, N.D.
1. Kali Welu (BSU) def. Michelle Bauer (UM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Nicole Christiansen (BSU) def. Brianna Thomas (UM) 6-0, 6-3
3. Farrah Steinke (BSU) def. Megan Bosch (UM) 6-1, 6-3
4. Kelli Christiansen (BSU) def. Marisa Steadman (UM) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0
5. Julie Kapsner (BSU) def. Jane Langenwalter (UM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Amy Erickson (BSU) def. Brianna Meyer (UM) 6-2, 6-0
1. Kali Welu/Kelli Christiansen (BSU) def. Michelle Bauer/Brianna Thomas (UM) 8-3
2. Farrah Steinke/Kara Johnson (BSU) def. Megan Bosch/Marisa Steadman (UM) 8-5
3. Cheyanne Maki/Brittney Greenwaldt (BSU) def. Brianna Meyer/Jane Langenwalter (UM) 8-4
Bemidji State University 3-3; 3-2 NSIC
Mary (N.D.) 0-7; 0-4 NSIC