Just hours after falling to University of North Dakota, 7-0, the Beavers bounced back to collect a decisive 8-1 victory over Northern State University.
In the opening match of the day, the NCAA Division I Fighting Sioux took all three doubles matches digging the Beavers a 3-0 hole entering singles play.
The pair of Emily Callison and Molly Maurer defeated Bemidji States' No. 1 team of Kali Welu (Sr., Pequot Lakes, Minn.) and Kelli Christiansen (Fr., Bemidji, Minn.), 8-3. At No. 2 doubles, UND's Katie Callison and Katie Wessman handed Farrah Steinke (So., Crosby, Minn.) and Kara Johnson (So., Anoka, Minn.) of Bemidji State a 8-2 loss before Brynne Wischer and Tiffany Reisenauer defeated BSU's Cheyanne Maki (Jr., Watford City, Minn.) and Brittney Greenwaldt (Fr., Morris, Minn.) 8-2 in the No. 3 spot to sweep the doubles points.
The dominance continued as the teams entered singles play.
Emily Callison topped Welu at No. 1 singles in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2. Katie Callison put UND up 5-0 with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Christiansen. At the No. 5 position, Kapsner fell to Wessman, 6-0, 6-2 before UND's Reisenauer completed the shut out with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Erickson at No. 6 singles.
Needing only five team points to take claim the match in tournament play, the No. 3 and No. 4 singles matches of Wischer versus Steinke and Maurer versus Kelli Christiansen, respectively, were left unfinished as the Sioux cruised to the 7-0 victory.
The Bemidji State team turned the tables in the night cap.
BSU rattled off wins at all three doubles positions to take a 3-0 lead over the Wolves into the singles portion of the match. The Beavers' No. 1 pair of Welu and Kelli Christiansen won their first match of the season, 8-2 over a team of Abbey Johnsen and Kelsey Lonning. Steinke and Johnson then topped the tandem of Bridget Henderson and Mackenzie Weber 8-5 and Maki and Greenwaldt posted an 8-2 win over Jessica DesLauruers and Amanda Lee at No. 3 doubles.
Once singles play began, the Beavers cranked out four quick and convincing straight-set victories, while Kapsner needed to clinch a singles point with a tie-breaker, 6-1, 5-7, 1-0, at the No. 4 spot.
The Wolves recorded their only win of the match at No. 6 singles. Lee defeated BSU's Erin Mapes (Jr., Monticello, Minn.), 6-2, 6-3.
The Beavers (1-3; 1-2 NSIC) continue play at the UND Invite tomorrow with matches versus University of Minnesota, Crookston and University of Mary (N.D.) at 12 and 6 p.m. respectively.
North Dakota 7, Bemidji State University 0
Feb 27, 2009 at Grand Forks, N.D.
1. Emily Callison (UND) def. Kali Welu (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Katie Callison (UND) def. Nicole Christiansen (BSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Brynne Wischer (UND) vs. Farrah Steinke (BSU) unfinished
4. Molly Maurer (UND) vs. Kelli Christiansen (BSU) unfinished
5. Katie Wessman (UND) def. Julie Kapsner (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Tiffany Reisenauer (UND) def. Amy Erickson (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Emily Callison/Molly Maurer (UND) def. Kali Welu/Kelli Christiansen (BSU) 8-3
2. Katie Callison/Katie Wessman (UND) def. Farrah Steinke/Kara Johnson (BSU) 8-2
3. Brynne Wischer/Tiffany Reisenauer (UND) def. Cheyanne Maki/Brittney Greenwaldt (BSU) 8-2
North Dakota 7-2
Bemidji State University 0-3
Bemidji State University 8, Northern State 1
Feb 28, 2009 at Grand Forks, N.D.
1. Kali Welu (BSU) def. Abbey Johnsen (NSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Nicole Christiansen (BSU) def. Mackenzie Weber (NSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Farrah Steinke (BSU) def. Kelsey Lonning (NSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Julie Kapsne (BSU) def. Jessica DesLauruers (NSU) 6-1, 7-5, 1-0
5. Amy Erickson (BSU) def. Bridget Henderson (NSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Amanda Lee (NSU) def. Erin Mapes (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Kali Welu/Kelli Christiansen (BSU) def. Abbey Johnsen/Kelsey Lonning (NSU) 8-2
2. Farrah Steinke/Kara Johnson (BSU) def. Bridget Henderson/Mackenzie Weber (NSU) 8-5
3. Cheyanne Maki/Brittney Greenwaldt (BSU) def. Jessica DesLauruers/Amanda Lee (NSU) 8-2
Northern State 0-4
Bemidji State University 1-3; 1-2 NSIC