MOORHEAD, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University tennis team was back in action Friday with a trip to Moorehead, Minn. to face Minnesota State University, Moorhead. The Dragons took the NSIC match, 7-2.
MSU Moorhead took a 2-1 lead into singles play after winning No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches 8-6 and 8-3. The pair of Cheyanne Maki (Sr., Watford, City, N.D.) and Miranda Milless (So., Motley, Minn.) garnered the Beavers' lone doubles point with their third consecutive victory, prevailing 8-5 over the Dragons' duo of Brenna Johnson and Jennesa Winey in the No. 3 spot.
The Dragons put the match out of reach as singles play got underway. The hosts took team points with victories in five of the singles solo contests. BSU sophomore Britney Greenwaldt (Morris, Minn.) collected the Beavers' second point of the match in a tie-breaker. After posting a 6-2 victory in the first set, she dropped the second set 5-7, but rallied to take the tie-breaker 10-3 to earn her fourth singles win of the season.
The Beavers, 3-10; 2-6 NSIC, return to action April 17 when they travel to Winona, Minn. for a pair of NSIC tilts. The team is scheduled to face Winona State University at 10 a.m. only to turn around to play Upper Iowa University at 2 p.m. to wrap up regular-season NSIC play.
MSU Moorhead 7, Bemidji State University 2
Apr 09, 2010 at Fargo, N.D.
1. Kayla Huether (MSUM) def. Steinke, Farrah (BSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Kathryn Neubauer (MSUM) def. Luberda, Lindsey (BSU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Greenwaldt, Brittney (BSU) def. Emily Delaney 6-2, 5-7 (3)
4. Alyse Grelson (MSUM) def. Christiansen, Kelli (BSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ashley Taborsky (MSUM) def. Johnson, Kara (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Susan Gilkerson (MSUM) def. Milless, Miranda (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Kayla Huether/Alyse Grelson (MSUM) def. Steinke, Farrah/Luberda, Lindsey (BSU) 8-3
2. Kathryn Neubauer/Emily Delaney (MSUM) def. Christiansen, Kelli/Johnson, Kara (BSU) 8-2
3. Maki, Cheyanne/Milless, Miranda (BSU) def. Brenna Johnson/Jennesa Winey (MSUM) 8-6
Bemidji State University 3-10; 2-6 NSIC