COLLEGEVILLE, Minn. -- Four student-athletes wrapped up Bemidji State University outdoor track & field’s weekend of action in the heptathlon as senior Libby Christenson brought home a win in the event. All four athletes who competed set personal record marks in the event hosted by St. John’s University in Collegeville, Minn.
Christenson totaled an event-winning score of 4,050, which ranks third in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference and 15th in the NCAA Division II Central Region this season, followed by fellow senior Aneesa Tucker with a score of 3,968. Freshman Emily Curtice finished fourth with a total of 3,710 while fellow freshman Natalie Fultz took ninth with 3,237 points. This event was the first in the careers of Christenson, Curtice and Fultz while Tucker topped her previous personal record by 478 points.
Curtice and Tucker each won two events within the heptathlon, including the shot put (10.19 meters/33-feet-05.25-inches) and the javelin (35.07m/115-00) for Curtice and the long jump (5.08m/16-08.00) and the 800m run (2:26.88) for Tucker. While Christenson only won the high jump (1.60m/5-03.00), she finished within the top three of five of the seven heptathlon events.
The group of four student-athletes set 19 personal record marks within the heptathlon’s seven events.
Closing out the activity from Friday night at the St. John’s Invitational was the high jump, in which freshman Rylie Bjerklie won with a leap of 1.55m (5-01.00). She tied a personal record in the event while junior Reygan Brown took fifth with a mark of 1.45m (4-09.00).
St. John’s Invitational
1. Rylie Bjerklie – 1.55m/5-01.00 (t-PR)
5. Reygan Brown – 1.45m/4-09.00
1. Libby Christenson – 4,050 (PR)
2. Aneesa Tucker – 3,968 (PR)
4. Emily Curtice – 3,710 (PR)
9. Natalie Fultz – 3,237 (PR)
Heptathlon (100m Hurdles)
3. Aneesa Tucker – 16.63
7. Libby Christenson – 16.87
8. Emily Curtice – 17.63 (PR)
9. Natalie Fultz – 17.65
Heptathlon (High Jump)
1. Libby Christenson – 1.60m/5-03.00 (PR)
3. Aneesa Tucker – 1.48m/4-10.25 (PR)
3. Emily Curtice – 1.48m/4-10.25 (PR)
3. Natalie Fultz – 1.48m/4-10.25
Heptathlon (Shot Put)
1. Emily Curtice – 10.19m/33-05.25 (PR)
2. Libby Christenson – 9.81m/32-02.5 (PR)
7. Aneesa Tucker – 8.60m/28-02.75 (PR)
9. Natalie Fultz – 7.20m/23-07.50 (PR)
Heptathlon (200m Dash)
2. Aneesa Tucker – 28.01 (PR)
3. Emily Curtice – 28.13 (PR)
6. Libby Christenson – 28.48 (PR)
7. Natalie Fultz – 28.49 (PR)
Heptathlon (Long Jump)
1. Aneesa Tucker – 5.08m/16-08.00
3. Libby Christenson – 4.78m/15-08.25 (PR)
7. Emily Curtice – 4.19m/13-09.00 (PR)
9. Natalie Fultz – 4.04m/13-03.25
1. Emily Curtice – 35.07m/115-00
3. Libby Christenson – 27.30m/89-06 (PR)
7. Aneesa Tucker – 23.20m/76-01
9. Natalie Fultz – 20.90m/68-07 (PR)
Heptathlon (800m Run)
1. Aneesa Tucker – 2:26.88
2. Libby Christenson – 2:32.14 (PR)
5. Natalie Fultz – 2:42.10 (PR)
7. Emily Curtice – 2:46.90 (PR)
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers) or like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers).
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).